Friday, April 4, 2014

A Day In Luna's Life

Okay, so this is kinda a long post. I was reading Life Changes’s post, called A Day In My Life, yesterday and thought it would be fun to write about a day in my life! (crazy weird jump...I know).

A Day In Luna’s Life

Waking Up
My alarm clock, that is five minutes fast and constantly giving me trouble, blares at 6:00 A.M. every morning. I shut it off, open my eyes, giving it the evil eye. I turn the other way and also shut off the fan on my headboard book stand thingy (you know what I’m talking about), and roll out from my bed and tangle of pillows and blankets.

I trudge through the junk scattered on the bedroom floor in the dark, my room darkening drapes not letting an ounce of light in. I try to keep quiet as Mona is sleeping in the same room.

Zombie-like I grab my shower stuff and head to the bathroom, most of the time I forget how to shower and stand looking at the shampoo for awhile before I remember what I’m suppose to do with it.

After showering I put my pajamas back on (because ten-to-one I forget to grab my robe in the left in the bedroom) and go back into the bedroom, flip on the light, look over at Mona to make sure I didn’t wake her up, grab what I need and shut the door as I tiptoe out. Down the first flight of stairs, I drop my phone off on the bar in the kitchen to make my trek down another flight of stairs to the basement.

I grab something that resembles an appropriate work outfit from among the piles of unfolded, and somehow clean clothing (because I hate to do laundry) and put it on. Every time I think, tonight I will organize this laundry room, so my roommates don’t grow to hate me because of it,  and every night I don’t do it. It’s a vicious cycle.

Once I’m back up to our main level I head into the bathroom. I put my makeup on in 5 minutes with my eyes basically closed. Then I say to myself that I’m styling my hair by turning on the blow dryer just to the point it stops dripping and doing nothing else. If it looks too terrible I throw it up in a sloppy, partially wet ponytail and call it a day.

If I’m done exceptionally early I plop down in the recliner in the living room and scroll through social media.  

I have an alarm set for when I need to absolutely leave the house or I will be late. As soon as that goes off, I put on my shoes. The same pair of shoes everyday. My red Chucks. Once slipping those on, I put on my winter coat, yes they may be calling it “spring” here in Wisconsin, but it doesn’t look or feel anything like spring.

I grab my purse, keys, name-tag, which are usually left my the front door, and make sure I have my phone before I head out the door.

Once I walk outside and before I shut and lock the door I double check to make sure I have my purse, keys, name-tag, and phone. I can be absentminded and forget any or all of these things at any given point. I have probably spent more time looking for my lost phone than actually using it.

As I walk out to the parking lot of my apartment building I see that once again my neighbor is parked in my extra parking stall. I know we don’t always use it, but it still irks me that they think they have a right to park in my empty spot. I glare at my the car the entire time that I’m getting in mine. I think about the nasty letter I will write and put on their windshield. I have yet to write note.

I drive to work in silence. I don’t know if I’m still partly asleep or lost in my thoughts, but I don’t even realize I didn't turn on the radio until it’s too late to even bother.

I park in the farthest spot from the building, the same spot every time, so I don’t forget where I parked. And sit for a minute just looking at the building thinking “do I really have to go in?”, the answer is always and unfortunately “yes”.

I walk across the parking lot and into the building. I get to my desk, clock in, unlock doors and drawers, and log into my computer and see what I've got going on for today. If you don’t know, I work for a large medical facility. I’m the receptionist for Physical and Occupational Therapy, Orthotics, and Prosthetics Departments (and yes I have to say all that every time I answer the phone).

I get into work at 7:00 am.  It’s my favorite time to be at work. Most people don’t start until eight, including my partner, so it feels like I have the place to myself.  I love the feeling of a big empty building. The silence and darkness of a normally bustling place. It’s got an eerie quiet quality about it that I find comforting.

I get all of my busy work done and wait for the building to come to life. My partner usually clocks in just before 8:00 nearly giving me a heart attack because she is so close to being fired for being late, I yell at her every time.

The Urgent Care reception desk is right next to ours. I love the receptionist dearly, but she also can’t make it to work on time to save her life.  She works by herself, so when she’s late, I have to take over the responsibilities of her work on top of my own.  I set my jaw and forward her phones to my desk and take care of all of her patients. Lately she has been almost an hour late everyday. She has FMLA (a law that says you can’t be fired because of medical problems) for headaches, asthma, and depression that she uses and abuses. I have asthma too, but I still manage to make it to work on time and I’m here running around doing her job on top of it. You should see me trying to catch my breath as I run back and forth. I get that every now and then you need to come in late, but this is EVERY DAY!! (I’m not sore about it at all)

Whenever she decides to show things calm down and my partner and I get our work into a normal routine. This consists of actually working, browsing the internet when we are slow, me goofing off with Kari (one of the therapists) when she is slow (Don’t tell anyone, but Kari is my favorite), trying not to get people mad enough to threaten my life, and fending off people trying to get me to go out with Charles. It’s rough work.

Around noon I take my lunch. I bundle up and walk to the diner across the street. I get a booth and take my book. Right now I’m reading The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt. The girls at the diner know me and bring me my diet coke right away. I sit and eat and read. Sometimes I even let the girls talk me into getting a piece of pie.

After an hour, I tear myself away from my book and walk back to work.

Only three hours left.  

I count down until 4:00.

After Work
Depending on the day and how I’m feeling I can do different things.

My set days are Tuesdays and Wednesdays.

Tuesdays, I normally go and see a movie with my dad. There’s a special where you get your movie, large popcorn, and a soda for $10 and we take turns buying. Afterwards we stand in the lobby or outside (depending on the weather) and talk for awhile about the movie and life.

And Wednesdays, Mona, Becky, and I go over to my parents house for dinner. Mom always cooks and we eat. We talk and watch cable TV shows that we don’t get. Mona and Becky normally spend the night, but I go home to sleep in my own bed. I hate trying to get ready for work in the morning at someone else’s house and I don’t want to wake up any earlier than I have to to drive home and get ready.

Days that are not Tuesdays or Wednesdays differ depending on a lot of different things.

On the nights Mona isn't working we normally eat dinner together and find something to do, like going to a coffee shop or writing music.

On the nights Mona is working, I act like an old lady. I pick up fast food on my way home from work at 4:00 because I don’t like to cook and I don’t want to have to go back out later and get something. Then I plant myself in the recliner and binge watch Netflix. Sometime Becky joins me, right now we are watching Dexter together and love it (we are only on season 4, so no spoilers please).

When Becky’s there we try and get in as many episodes of Dexter that we can until Mona gets home. We started the first episode without without Mona and she got mad and refused to catch up and watch it with us. She still gets mad when she catches us watching, so we try to have it shut off by the time she walks in the door. Becky and I  always look guilty so she knows.

When Becky doesn't come over I try and stay up until Mona gets home, so we can talk or write music or watch a TV show together, but I don’t always make it. 10 o’clock is just too late some nights.

The way I get ready for bed is to throw on my pajamas, think about washing my face, and don’t. because I’m too lazy. And crash into my bed. I bury myself in with lots of blankets and pillows. I turn on my fan and set my alarm to be ready to get up and do it all over again…

After writing this, I see myself as a very lazy person who watches way too much TV. In my defense I do do other things sometimes! Just not all the time.

What does a normal day look like for you?


  1. Glad you did this. And thanks for letting me get all up in your business. I'm so nosey.

  2. Glad I could help with your nosey problem..i had fun doing it!