Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Procrastination And Lack Of Focus

The life of a dedicated procrastinator is a difficult and dangerous road to travel. Sure, the time spent procrastinating is lighthearted and fun, but there is always the constant burden of feeling "there is something else I should be doing". It's not an easy burden. Along with every Netflix show, book, and fun night out there is a constant pressure, a feeling like I am forgetting something or that some deadline is being missed.

Every procrastinated moment is an experience I wouldn't want to take back, but the missed work does eventually catch up to you. The work doesn't just disappear. It doesn't go away. You must pay the piper.

As hard as I try, the more I tell myself to just do the stupid work, the less I want to do it. I've always been stubborn that way. I don't like people telling me what to do, so much so that I don't even like myself telling me what to do. 

And to make it even worse, on top of procrastination I am also easily distracted. In the time it's taken me to write this I have logged in to my school account, sent three emails, checked Facebook six times, check a few other blogs, and Googled radicular pain, talked on the phone, and made coffee.

When I'm trying to do school, it's even worse. I go of on these random tangents. Like last week, I'm studying art in my humanities class and we get on the topic of printing. I read one little thing about 3D printing and I go off on a four hour Google and YouTube 3D printing spree. Did I need four hours worth of information on 3D printing? NO. I didn't need four hours worth of information on 3D printers, I just needed to know that it's a type of printing. While it was really cool (they printing body parts and hamburgers for goodness sake! I tried to talk Mona into letting me print kidneys in our basement and sell them on the black market, but she wasn't having it. I also tried to get her to let me build a life size robot and she wouldn't let me do that either) there goes four hours from my study time. 

Due to my extreme procrastination and lack of focus the next month of my life is going to be full of sleepless nights, an insane amount of caffeine, no contact with the outside world, and no robot building (if anyone has a building robots for dummies book or robot parts for sale let me know. Don't tell Mona!). I will not see my family or friends. I will not go to parties or gatherings of any kind. I will not watch TV or read books. My entire being will be consumed by the work I have put off for the last five months of my life.

This is the nightmare I create for myself. It is the same nightmare over and over every time I close my eyes and I can't escape it. 

(help me!)

No comments:

Post a Comment