Thursday, July 24, 2014

Receptionist or Machine

Some people are just crazy. I'm convinced of it. (myself being the standard for normal of course) 

This lady called me to cancel her appointment for today. She is suppose to be seeing us for the next six weeks and we normally set up all the appointments at once, but when she originally went to set up the appointments she didn't know her schedule, so she just set up one.

Since we only had the one scheduled when she asked to cancel I asked if she would like to reschedule since we don't have anymore set up at this time and she FLIPPED OUT!

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN?!?! I AM SUPPOSE TO BE COMING FOR THE NEXT SIX WEEKS!!!"

I taken aback thinking what just happened. I literally have this same conversation 100 times a day, what could have gone so wrong this time? She must have misunderstood something I said. I wasn't telling her she couldn't come back. I took a breath and tried to remedy the misunderstanding, "no, no, I'm not saying that you can't come back, it's just that today was the only scheduled appointment we have for you. We just need to reschedule it for a different time."

"I CAN'T JUST COME WHENEVER YOU WANT! I NEED TO GET A RIDE! I AM SUPPOSE TO BE COMING FOR THE NEXT SIX WEEKS!"

"Um, I know we just need to schedule the appointments..."

"FINE! I GUESS I'LL JUST HAVE TO WAIT FOR YOU TO CALL ME BACK!!."

Call her back?!?! Am I a receptionist or an answering machine? Why in the world would I have to call her back?!? I'm on the phone with her right now!

I this point I realized I was not dealing with a rational person. This one was straight up crazy! I'd have to use different tactics.

Dropping my "understanding nice girl" voice I went into my "stop being crazy and listen to me because THIS IS WHAT WE ARE DOING" voice. It comes off as bossy and slightly irritated and demands that no nonsense be allowed. I don't like using this voice with patients, but sometimes it's the only way you can deal with crazy. You've gotta do what you gotta do.

We went back and forth for a few more rounds until she finally realized I was going to make her an appointment...right now.

Success! Or so I thought...

When I started to offer her different dates and times to schedule the FIRST of the six weeks worth of appointments she couldn't make up her mind to save her life! She had different excuses and complaints and none of it made any sense, but, to be honest, at this point I'd given up trying to listen or understand her.

After another several painstaking minutes I was finally able strong arm her into making one appointment. ONE! That's it. That's all I could handle. I couldn't make it through six weeks of this! I let her know we would schedule the rest when she came in. She huffed and puffed a little, but agreed.

At the end of the conversation I am suppose to ask if there is anything else I can help her with, it's part of my job. I am a good employee, so I regrettably asked. She went on a rant about a doctor, that I have nothing to do with, who doesn't even work in my building, and her not getting her her pain medication from him. I am so thankful we don't have to deal with pain medication in physical therapy. (A lot of pain med patients are crazy about their pain meds). I kept trying to interrupt this lady to let her I have absolutely no pull when it comes to pain meds, but it's  probably five minutes before she takes a breath.

When I finally found my moment to interject I quickly said, "Sorry, you will have to talk to them about it. We will see you at your appointment. Have a great day. Goodbye."

And I hang up the phone quickly...before she could talk again.

Afterwards I vaguely remembered having a conversation with my cowered the other day. After she got off the phone with a patient she said, "that lady was so crazy I could only make one appointment for her!"

I turned to her and asked what  the name of that patient was and, sure enough, it was the same lady.

So it's not just me, this lady is crazy! 

2 comments:

  1. I hate dealing with crazy people. There is absolutely no reasoning with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately in my job I have to deal with a lot of crazy people, who are in pain, and on pain medication. This combo can be a doozy. I try my hardest to be sympathetic and understanding, because pain does makes people cranky and irrational at times, I get that, but they can be downright mean. I've been yelled at, cussed at, turned into administration, I've been threatened to get beat up, shot up, and on one occasion even bombed. It's not fun.



    Sorry for the rant. Yeah I hate dealing with crazy people too.

    ReplyDelete